Skip to main content

Childhood Shapes Our Personality

Come to think of it, my family had a turtle. The story is quite funny. The first time I met him was when me and my family visited our grandparents from my father in the city. We visit our grandparents regularly every week and usually on the weekends. One day, my grandmother walked past the living room and went outside while holding some food. I don't remember what food it was but it was probably fruit. She was around 70 years old so she could only eat soft and not too sweet food. It was around 4 p.m. so the rest of the family was watching shows on TV in the living room. While we were watching, I was bored of the show, I wanted to check my grandmother and so I walked outside. My grandmother was there, throwing the food she brought earlier while also munching on some. At that time, I was like, "Grandma, why are u throwing the food?! You are wasting it!" and my grandma replied, "Come here, I'll show you something. Sit beside me here." We waited for a while, and well, I didn't even know what was I doing there, just waiting for my grandma's next command.

    Outside of the house, we had a garden full of plants; orchids, rambutan fruit tree, mango and starfruit, so it was nice and I was tempted to reap some since there were some fruits that are ready to be reaped. After a while, she yelled at me, "There, there, look at that!" She pointed at a certain place under the plants and then I saw a shell-like thing moving slowly. It was dark and I couldn't see it clearly. After a while, it finally came out, and voila! It was a turtle. First thing that came to my mind was, "What the h*ll is that thing doing in here! Hiding in the garden, eating fruits from my grandma even!" My grandma told me that he has been here long before I was even born, but not too long; probably like two or three years before I was born. He didn't have a name so we could only call him by whistling or just making "shh shh" sound directed to the garden and he would come out. Well, I was a child, I didn't have the guts to pet him so I was just watching it from afar; watching my grandma petting him. It was then I realize that we have to be grateful for anything that's ever given to us. Anything at all.

    My grandma wasn't a super rich person in the city although she lives in the capital city of the country. She was sincere, kind, sometimes moody and would never hesitate to show or express that she's upset to someone. That experience taught me that you should give back to nature whatever nature has given to you even when you don't feel or have enough for yourself. Something like, "You should give back to the community you are in".

    Growing up, I had several pets: fish, cricket and cat. Only left with cat now since I went to study abroad and no one would take care of the fish and the cricket due to the maintenance and everyone was somewhat busy, had to let them go. My interest in fish was initiated from watching betta fish fight but I didn't want my fish to fight; I just want them to live happily in a tank but it didn't go well because the nature of betta fish. They will become aggressive when they're faced with other betta fish. My father then bought me a different type of fish, gold fish. Just like my memory, I grew up with them. Gold fish memory. Then there's cricket. It was a short memory made with them but it was nice. We had a problem in our house that rats would get into action when it's past 12 a.m and one of the ways to prevent them was to have the sound of crickets all over the place. Not necessarily ALL of the house, only the garage, since that's where the rats would come from. It did prevent the rats and was quite nice for a week. But a week after, we didn't hear any sound of them and one by one we found the crickets lying on the floor, already dead. I think the environment wasn't feasible for them to live in so it was game over. Truly sorry crickets. Then there's cat. Petting cats has taught me to be nice to anyone even to animals. They won't give you a feedback, no, never. Well, probably when they would come to you and massage your toes or calf. But hey! You don't stop giving them your love!

    That's what has shaped me as a person; started with my grandma that'd always give food to her turtle which then initiated me, her grandchild, to have a pet, and practice what my grandma has taught me. I'm sure there are a lot of things that has shaped me as well from my childhood experiences but this one is what really defines me as a person throughout my 20s years old.

    I don't know, maybe we really should do this retrospective thingy so that we can find ourselves and find what you were made of. Heart. Mind. Soul.

Adios!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parting Apart

I want to say I'm sorry, but I can't. Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic guy. I really love her, so much. With all my heart. Every night, it's a battleground in my head. Whether to forgive myself and just move on, or there are other layers that I have not yet discovered. I really want her to come back. Maybe it's true, love does not have to have . I want her to shine. She's a diamond of her own league. She's cute. She's my smile. She's everything for me. Now I'm getting emotional ahaha.      My sense of romance isn't getting any better as the day goes by. Practice ? That's probably the word. I need to do it. It's just, I couldn't understand her. I mean, I do have a sister. I should understand her a little bit; woman's world. Maybe much. But, like people say, everyone is unique. She's special.      I hope that she's smiling everyday; I know she's a tough one. She's an independent woman. Knowing that everything's

Pidato Wisuda yang Tak Tersampaikan

Baik, terima kasih kepada panitia arak-arakan bulan Mei atas kesempatan yang telah diberikan.      Yang terhormat, ibu Ir. Shinfi Wazna Auvaria, S.T, M.T selaku Ketua Program Studi Teknik Lingkungan UINSA, ibu Ir. Sulistiya Nengse, M.T selaku Sekretaris Program Studi Teknik Lingkungan UINSA dan Pembina Himpunan Mahasiswa Teknik Lingkungan UINSA, saudara Fakarrudin Rafi, S.T (amin), menyusul, selaku Ketua Himpunan Mahasiswa Teknik Lingkungan UINSA, saudara Ferdika Naufal, S.T, menyusul juga, dan rekan-rekan Env beserta keluarga kita semua.      Sebetulnya, cukup sulit untuk meresumekan atau menyimpulkan pengalaman selama saya berkuliah di kampus kita tercinta, UINSA SBY.      Teknik Lingkungan. Jurusan impian saya sedari kelas dua SMA. Timbulnya keinginan tersebut berawal dari keinginan mulia masa muda. Yaitu, daerah tempat di mana saya tinggal, di Tangerang, yang kalau malamnya hujan lebat, pasti besoknya bolos sekolah. Bukan karena nakal. Ya, memang nakal, sedikit. Tapi, bolosnya kare

Music, Joy, Vibe!

For the past few months I've been enjoying to listen to some old songs I used to listen to when I was younger such as hip hop, emo, pop and etc. Human is unique. We can lift up our mood by listening to a certain sound and it can help us focus on things that we are working on. Whether you just had a long day, or a very adventurous day, you always want to pop a song or just sing it yourself without the song playing. Alone, or with someone you know, together blasting the feeling out.      For me, the kind of music that I really like is hip hop, especially rap song. I don't know why but rap songs can always keep me sane during work or school hours. It's probably because I also try to imitate the gesture of the MC make when they are performing on stage. There are Eminem, 2Pac, Ice Cube, Kendrick Lamar, Rich Brian, Denzel Curry, Mac Miller, Logic, Joyner Lucas and J. Cole. Each has their own different technique and style. It's unique. I can never get tired of listening to the